In October 1867, a group of African American members of Sharon Presbyterian Church, in what was then known as Sharon Township (in Charlotte, NC), appeared before the Church Elders. According to minutes of that Session, these black members requested "advice and aid in building a house of worship for the colored people." Though the names of the petitioners, or the church they wished to established, are not in the Sharon Presbyterian minutes, it is believed that these African American members were the subsequent founders of St. Lloyd Presbyterian Church. Today, what remains is the Lloyds Presybyterian Cemetery located in the heart of the South Park Mall area of Charlotte, NC. The Cemetery was contributed to the Grubb Preservation Foundation when Grubb Properties, developing a large tract of land on Sharon road, discovered the history of this specific tract of land.